Blue Ball Monkey

Blue Ball Monkey

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Arrived in Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City

Well, the flight over wasn't as weary as expected.  The longest leg of the trip, Dallas to Japan was in business class (thanks to upgrade with AA miles) and the Business Class seat actually reclined completely flat like a small single bed.  The layover in Japan was okay and the 5 hour flight to HCM (not business class) at least wasn't full. The flight arrived early (which it never does). I got thru customs with no problems and quite quickly; gathered my bags and got thru security and out the door to wait for Van, my daughter-in-law, to pick me up.  She wasn't there. I waited and I waited and I waited; but I didn't panic.  What did bother me was (1) the cab drivers who wouldn't leave me alone  and (2) the heavy cloak of humidity that immediately fell on me as soon as I stepped outside of the airport.  I kept getting moister and moister.  But, Van did arrive with Jenny and a cold glass of ice tea.

Their new house is about 30-40 minutes from the airport, across the Saigon River, across from downtown in District 2.  This is an area that is "developing" with new houses, Vietnamese style -- tall and narrow-- and lots of construction is going on.  I counted this morning - 5 -- 81 steps from ground to top floor. My room is on 4th floor.  Kitchen/dining room is on 2nd floor.  Steps---- lots and lots of steps.

Jenny is warming up to me because she wants my attention and doesn't like sharing it with her little sister.  Sounds like a typical 3 year old.  Still a beautiful little girl and very smart.

Jenny will start back to school on Monday at International School.  She switches from talking Vietnamese to her mother and grandmother to "sometimes" speaking English with me. She has a stubborn streak in her just like her Dad.









This is Kristen. My first time to meet her. Van said when she was born, Kristen looked more like her. Then at about 6 months, one day they looked at her and saw my face. . . .
This child is fearless and more open and different personality. Jenny is more intense and Kristen is more happy go lucky -- so far. It's hard to get a picture of Kristen, because she's always moving.







It's taken me a couple of days to acclimate, but I am resting well and I feel pretty good.  Today, for the first time I feel like I'm on VN time.  Scott will arrive from Jakarta on Thursday and be here until Tuesday before he has to go back. This afternoon will be my first outing with Van on her motorbike.  Wish me luck.

Till Later.
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment